About the Role:
We’re looking for Backend Engineers for our team. From Hudson Yards to Levi’s Stadium, our customers build some of the most amazing construction projects
on the planet. PlanGrid is spearheading the industry’s transformation to the cloud and digitization by arming construction workers with the best productivity tools. You’ll work with top-tier design and QA teams to build flexible solutions that allow customers to manage their data throughout the lifecycle of their construction projects.
Ideally, candidates will also have experience with
- Proficient in at least one programming language (Python, Java, C, etc.)
- Have a technical undergraduate degree or higher (CS, Math, Engineering, etc.)
- Have a strong grasp of Computer Science fundamentals (data structures, theory basics, etc.)
- Feel at home using a *nix shell and common system utilities (ssh, grep, xargs, tail, ps, etc.)
- REST API and library design
- Database design and optimization
- Asynchronous processing and infrastructure
- Advanced image processing/optimization
- Performance analysis across distributed systems
- Refactoring and re-architecting to support new models and paradigms
- Application of complex machine learning pipelines at scale
- Experience with CAD and BIM data
We are looking for people with a track record of success when working on deeply technical problems. We recognize that diversity is a critical part of being an innovative company—diverse perspectives and different backgrounds are the key ingredients to building the best products.
The ideal teammate has:
- A strong sense of ownership: You strive for deep understanding, build the appropriate solution to get the job done, and iterate quickly to deliver high impact results.
- Pride over everything you ship: You would never release code until you’re confident it provides real value to customers.
- Love for building elegant, maintainable code: Abstracting and refactoring should be a passion, not a chore.
- Customer empathy: You have a high degree of customer empathy and drive to understand users’ pain points. You strive to frame problems using the best conceptual models.
- A team mentality: You recognize that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts, appreciate collaboration, and play a key role to make the company win.
- Pragmatism: You consider the many tradeoffs — business, technical, UX, speed, accuracy, complexity — in every decision.
PlanGrid solves a major problem for a 7,000 year old industry. Construction data is shackled in legacy, paper blueprints that are clunky, heavy to carry, and result in enormous rework costs totaling $9 billion per year for the industry due to working from outdated plans.
PlanGrid was built by builders, for builders. We’re spearheading the industry’s transformation to the cloud and digitization by arming construction workers with the best productivity tools. Contractors, owners, designers, and architects worldwide maximize PlanGrid to finish their projects on time and under budget. PlanGrid currently stores over 50 million blueprints, making us the largest digital blueprint repository in the world. We emerged from Y Combinator in 2012, and have secured over $62 million in funding from world-renowned organizations and individuals including Sequoia, Founders Fund, GV, 500 Startups, Box, Northgate, Spectrum 28, and Tenaya Capital.
- Located in San Francisco’s Mission District just one block from BART, among local shops, bars, and restaurants
- Flexible vacation
- Dog-friendly office
- Clipper Cards (for public transportation) funded by PlanGrid
- Construction site tours of the biggest projects in San Francisco using PlanGrid
- Volunteer time off: We encourage employees to give back to our local communities. We organize volunteer days and have worked with organizations such as Glide, SF/Marin Food Bank, Muttville, Family Dog Rescue, and Bryant Elementary School (as part of PlanGrid’s commitment with Circle the Schools).
- Catered lunches
- Premium medical, dental, and vision coverage for full-time employees and their dependents
- Office is wheelchair accessible